Clients often wonder whether their nanny or domestic worker can accompany them to the UK. Fortunately, there is a route available for such persons in the form of the domestic worker visa.
This type of visa includes; cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, nannies and anyone providing personal care for the employer and the family.
How to qualify
The requirements for this visa are inter alia as follows;
- You must be between 18 and 65 years old;
- You should have worked for your employer who is effectively sponsoring you for at least one year.
- You can go to the UK with your employer or your employer’s partner or their children and you should intend to work full time in the same household where the employer will live in the UK.
- You have to have the intention to return as you would with any visitor visa and you have to show that you will support yourself without recourse to public funds. The employer can be a British citizen or an EEA national or someone who is settled or a foreign national who has a visitors’ visa.
- The minimum salary you receive will have to be at the UK national minimum wage.
Length of stay
A domestic worker can only join their employer to visit the UK for up to six months. The idea is for the domestic worker to go as a domestic worker visitor so he / she cannot get paid in the UK and although employed in the UK, they are still being paid abroad.
The domestic worker can be taken care of and live with the employer during the employ. You are allowed to stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit.
Settlement in the UK
This category is no longer as it used to be a category for settlement. At the end of the 6-month visa, the holder of the visa needs to return to his/her home country.