Domestic Worker Visa

Clients often wonder whether their nanny or domestic worker can accompany them to the UK. Fortunately, there is a route available for such persons in the form of the domestic worker visa.

This type of visa includes; cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, nannies and anyone providing personal care for the employer and the family.

How to qualify for the Domestic Worker Visa

The requirements for this visa are inter alia as follows;

  • You must be 18 years or older.
  • You must have worked for your employer for at least 1 year.
  • You must work in the same household as your employer, or a household that they use regularly.
  • You must plan to travel to the UK with your employer, their partner or children.
  • You must intend to work as full-time domestic worker in a UK household your employer will live in.

The employer must fulfill the following criteria;

  • The employer can be a British citizen or an EEA national who usually lives outside the UK, and who does not intend to remain in the UK for more than six months, or
  • The employer must be a foreign national who is visiting the UK, and who does not intend to stay for longer than six months.
  • The employer must pay you a salary that is at least the UK national minimum wage.

Spouses and Dependents of the Domestic Worker

You are not allowed to bring any family members or dependents.

Length of stay and right of work

A domestic worker can only join their employer to visit the UK for up to six months. You must leave the UK at the end of the 6 months, or at the same time as your employer, whichever is sooner.

There is no recourse to public funds.

You are allowed to stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit. You can change employers to another job as domestic worker in a private household, provided that you do not stay longer than six months.

Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK

This category is no longer as it used to be a category for settlement. At the end of the 6-month visa, the holder of the visa needs to return to his/her home country.