The Investor Visa (Tier 1) is available for high net worth individuals, making a substantial financial investment in the United Kingdom.
The visa allows investors a good degree of flexibility regarding settlement in the UK. Major investors can also settle more quickly than would normally be possible for other types of visa holders.
How to qualify for the Investor Visa (Tier 1)
- You have to be 18 years or older.
- Have at least £2 million investment funds, and this money must belong to you or your spouse or partner.
- You have to have a bank account at a regulated UK bank for your funds.
- The investment funds must be disposable in the UK and held in one or more regulated financial institutions but can be in the UK or outside when you apply.
- There is no need to fulfil an English language or maintenance requirement that applies to most other UK visa categories.
- You have to provide a criminal record certificate from any country in which you have stayed for longer than twelve months over the past ten years. This requirement also applies to all adult family members applying as your dependants.
Spouses and Dependants
Your spouse or partner and children under 18 years can apply to accompany you to the UK. Dependants can also include children over 18 years if they are currently in the UK as your dependants.
Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant for specific advice relating to your family members that want to accompany you.
Right to Work on the Investor Visa
There are no work or study restrictions on the Investor Visa (Tier 1), but you cannot work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach.
There are some restrictions should you wish to work as a doctor or dentist in training. Please speak to your Breytenbachs consultant for specific advice in this regard.
Length of Stay
It is possible to come to the UK for three years and four months. The investor can then apply to extend the visa for another two years.
Investors can apply to settle after 2, 3 or 5 years, depending on their investment. Please see the section on Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Immigration Health Surcharge
The Applicant applying for the Investor visa (Tier 1), and his or her dependents accompanying him or her to the UK will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their application.
Indefinite Leave to Remain and the Investor Visa
When an Investor qualifies for settlement in the UK depends on the amount of money he/she is investing:
- £10 million investment – apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after two years.
- £5 million investment – apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after three years.
- £2 million investment –apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after five years.
How Breytenbachs can help
Breytenbachs have a dedicated and highly experienced team of experts dealing with the UK Investor and Business visas.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information or to start your application.