Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility Scheme allows young people from participating countries to live and work in the UK for up to two years.

How to qualify for the Youth Mobility Scheme

In order to qualify you have to be a national of one of the countries currently participating in the scheme. Countries participating are; Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea and Taiwan.

If you are from Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea you need to be sponsored.

You can also qualify for the scheme as a British overseas citizen, British overseas territories citizen or as a British national overseas.

If you have children living with you or children you are financially responsible for, you will not be able to apply. Persons who have already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former Working Holiday Visa category are not allowed to apply.

You have to be between 18 and 30 years of age at the date that your entry clearance becomes valid. You will also have to meet the required available maintenance funds when you apply.

Applicants have to pay the UK Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their application.

Length of stay and right to work

Successful applicants will be allowed to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.

You will be allowed to work in most jobs. You are also allowed to be self-employed and set up your own company, provided that the premises are rented, the equipment not worth more than  £5,000, and you do not have any employees.

However, you will not allowed to work as a professional sportsperson. You are also not allowed to work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you have received your training in the UK.

You will be allowed to study. However, for some courses you will need an Academic Technology Approval scheme certificate.

There is no recourse to public funds.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

As it is a temporary visa, it does not lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. The visa does however provide a valuable opportunity for young people to experience life in the UK.